6/5/12

An ACS Scholar's Story

By: Caroline Kessler (DC'11)

From my first day on campus, filing into a tent on the CFA Lawn as one of many nervous first-years, to processing into Gesling Stadium as the Student Commencement Speaker, I've learned a lot at Carnegie Mellon University.

My time was full of lively classroom discussions, close relationships with professors and classmates, eye-opening extracurricular activities, and international travel. I've been asked about my favorite memories a lot, and two come to mind right away: having dinner with my poetry workshop in Professor Jim Daniel's home and visiting our campus in Doha as part of the IMPAQT program.

Caroline Kessler at Commencement
Speaking at Commencement was an immense honor and a truly unforgettable experience. I was able to process in with a Nobel laureate, the youngest female Ph.D., other world-renowned figures, and people fundamental to the university, like CMU President Cohon, the deans, and trustees.

As a writer, it was a wonderful experience to share my words and thoughts with my peers, professors, and staff that have inspired me during my time here. I talked about defying the norms of what it means to be a student at a prestigious university and how talented and motivated Carnegie Mellon students are.

During our time at CMU, we were surrounded by people from all over the world, studying so many different things, and trying to make the world a bit better than how we found it.

Since graduating in December, I've been working at San Francisco-based nonprofit, Net Impact. I’ve had the opportunity to connect with CMU alumni in the Bay Area, of which there are plenty. This summer, I'll be one of ten students to attend the three-week Bucknell Seminar for Younger Poets, where I'll get to write, live, and work with other poets and teachers.

I'm very grateful for the opportunity that the Andrew Carnegie Society provided me and it was a wonderful way to finish my time at CMU.


Related: Caroline's address at Commencement; ACS Scholars program

No comments: